Sunday, April 30, 2006

Astrid's Quilt




This is Astrid's favorite blanket. My mema made me a blue wedding ring quilt once and I like to keep it on this bed but Astrid sneaks in behind me and puts this one on it. I have resorted to just folding the wedding ring quilt at the foot of the bed. This blanket Grandma Powell made for me. One summer, I was 4 or 5, a big truck backed into our driveway....I asked mom who is that. She said she thought Santa was coming early. From that truck I recieved a beautiful brand new white bedroom suit with a canopy bed. Mom decorated the bed and my room in red and white gingham. Grandma made me this blanket to go with it. On the other side of the blanket, it is red and white flannel in a gingham pattern. It is tied together with yarn not quilted. This blanket is so soft and Astrid will sleep with nothing else. The lace around the edge is gone but you can see where it once was sewed to the blanket. Astrid likes things worn out and old.....Ingrid likes them new and frilly....what will Siggy like. Astrid is reading Dick and Jane....Ingrid is reading Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus...Siggy is trying to escape.

7 comments:

patsy said...

the girls alway look so pretty.

patsy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Galla Creek said...

Momma loved making quilts and
giving them away. We wore out
several that she made us. I wish
I had saved them. I remember one
lap quilt that was mostly green.
I used it in the floor. We wore
it thread bare. Mom would recover
these old quilts and make it new
again. She made the most wonderful
pot holders...I still have a few.
She love machine quilting!

Sister--Helen said...

I have several of the old Dick and Jane books. I did buy the remakes for Kenzie to read. I remember the first one she read was my soft back ' We work and Play.' I sat right by her and helped turn the old pages. Then she wanted to take it home and I had to say no. The next day I bought her a new one from Walmart that she thought was even better.

Sister--Helen said...

Every time I look at pictures of your Girls I just think 'what sweet Girls'.

Erin said...

looking at this picture makes me want to have little babies. but i dont want to have babies. i'm afraid they will be born with a head of hair. and i'd rather have bald babies.

Sister--Helen said...

Your Aunt Patsy is old today....let her know it...