Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter 2006



Well the Easter Bunny found our house worthy to visit last night. I felt we had gotten enough toys in the last two weeks therefore the Easter Bunny was instructed to only bring constructive items and a little candy. I was leary that I would wake up to disappointed children. Well bright and early this morning we wake to Ingrid's screams. She storms the bedroom and anounces that the Easter Bunny has brought her what she always wanted...an umbrella. There was no disappointment at our house thank goodness.


Last night I also had the bright idea we would learn the Easter story by making these cookies that are suppose to represent the story. With each ingredient I added I read a bible verse and discussed it with Astrid and Ingrid. The first ingredient is to beat pecans with a wooden spoon as Jesus was beaten...the girls understood this and participated well. The next ingredient is a teaspoon of vinegar to represent what Jesus had to drink when he was thirsty on the cross. The children are to smell the vinegar.....Ingrid sniffs so hard she burns the inside of her nose. Then we added 3 egg whites to the vinegar to represent life. As they beat they turn white which represents the purity after our sins are washed away. I then placed salt in each of the girls hand and allowed them to taste it before adding it to the eggwhites...they spit it back in their hand and then added it to the eggwhites. It was to represent the salty tears shed for the cross. Next is a cup of sugar to represent how sweet it is that Jesus did this for each of us and if we ask him to live in our hearts we reap the benefits of heaven. Ingrid said she definetly wants Jesus to live in her heart because she wants to go to heaven. It doesn't say to let the kids taste the sugar...just to add it to the egg whites. There was loud protests from Astrid and Ingrid on why they didn't get to taste the sugar. Next we folded in the pecans and placed the cookies on a cookie sheet in mounds. Each mound is to represent Jesus' tomb. We placed the cookies in a preheated 300 degree oven and turned it off. The girls placed tape on the oven door since we couldn't figure out how to place boulder in front of it. The girls nominated me to be the guard for the night. This morning we woke up...I was not a good guard I went to bed....We took a bite out of our cookies and they were hollow just like the Jesus' tomb. I don't know if the girls understood the whole of the story but I think they enjoyed the experience.

7 comments:

Galla Creek said...

My Laura is such a good Mommy. It is not because she learned it with
me. She is always patient and never gets angry and slaps or hits.
When she was tiny, I had those sad days. I told the Lord to please
save her soul or take her from me as a child so she would be sealed in his love. I know she is His.

Sister--Fleta said...

Sweet girls, and a sweet story.

Sunshine said...

Momma doesn't see me when I am angry with them. It has been harder since I have three not to loose my temper so often. Lots of times I loose it on my husband instead. He is an angel to put up with me.

Sister--Helen said...

They are all just little angles but you can tell Iggie thought her dress was the prettiest!

Erin said...

I took the liberty to order a 5x7 of this picture -- along with the ones I took on Thursday. Hope you don't mind. So I have no need for a 5x7 of the school picture unless you just want me to have one. :)

Favotite daughter of sister#1 said...

what a very nice picture of the beautiful girls..

patsy said...

WHAT A NICE THING TO TELL YOUR CHILDREN.TRAIN UP A CHILD IN THE WAY HE SHOULD GO AND WHEN HE IS OLD HE SHALL NOT DEPART FROM IT!